Do you have guests or temporary workers in your organisation’s ArcGIS Online or Portal for ArcGIS?
Their accounts can often see anything that is shared to the organisation. This can be undesirable. How do you enable your organisation’s core-staff to have access to a wide range of content but have that content unavailable to these temporary users?
If this is something that your organisation has concerns about, it’s a great time to start using Groups to divide and organise your content into sections or categories for your different types of users. This process is called Compartmentalization.
In ArcGIS Online and Portal you have four ways to share your items.
- With Yourself
- With the Public
- With your Organisation
- With a Group
If your account has the User, Publisher or Administrator role then you have the privilege to Create Groups in ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS. What you can do with these groups is create a group for every group of user you might have in your organisation.
Some examples of this might be a group for each project demonstration you’re working or presenting, a group for all the content you will publicly share, a group for your temporary workers and a group for general useful content for your organisation’s members.
There are several settings that the group owner can configure for their groups. Some of the key settings are:
- Who can join
- Who can see the group and its content
- Who can contribute content to the group
Here is an example of what ArcGIS Online might look like for a user signing into a temporary account where groups haven’t been set up:
The following example is what it might look like if the user is part of a group where their project’s data is being shared:
As you can see, creating several groups for sharing specific content to can be a very effective method of organising the data in your organisation.
For documentation related to this workflow, see below:
- Create Groups – https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/create-groups.htm
- What is a group? – https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/groups.htm
- Share items – https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/share-items.htm
- User roles and privileges – https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/reference/roles.htm
- FAQ: Is it possible to have guest accounts in ArcGIS Online that can only see what’s in a particular group – https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000022296